Saturday, February 16, 2019

My personal fairy tale

Today I'm going to tell you a fairy tale. I mean it! Once upon a time, there lived a beautiful young lady. She had beautiful dark eyes and gorgeous long hair. He skin was the color of ivory and when she smiled two dimples appeared on her cheeks. She liked reading books and talking to her grandmother. One day her parents went to visit their friends in a town not far away, but that town was in the neighboring country. When they came back they brought with them a vinyl record but it was not for their daughter. The record belonged to a young man, that was the nephew of their friends. He forgot it at his aunt and uncle's house and when the young lady's parents came to visit them, they asked to grab the record and bring it to their home so that the nephew could come and pick it since the towns where lived the young lady's family and young man's family were not very far apart. One day the young man showed up on the threshold of the house to pick his record. The door opened the young lady. When he saw her, he understood that he had never seen anyone more beautiful and that his heart would never again belong to him. They fell in love, got married and lived happily ever since! And then I was born ))) The END )) No, not so quick! I have more to tell!
So, as you've guessed today's post will be dedicated to my parents. On the 16th of February, many years ago they got married and with this story, I want to congratulate them and to tell them how much I LOVE THEM and appreciate everything they've done and keep doing for me.
Many years ago they met precisely the way I described in the first paragraph, but there is a very cool prequel to their story. The thing is that the friends that my grandparents visited in a neighboring country (that is Poland) were not just family friends. That's where the story gets even more tangled up. My great grandmother, when she was a young lady had an admirer, who happened to live in a small town that now is located on the territory of Poland. He was very much in love with her, but she had met my great grandfather and had to reject the Polish guy. Despite being rejected, Andrew (that was the admirer's name) didn't give up on my great grandmother for good but became a good friend of the family. After some time he got married and had kids just like my great-grandparents. Both couples' kids became friends and when they grew up they still would visit each other when it was possible. Where's the tangled up part, you would ask? Well, here it is: Andrew and his children are my relatives from my father's side: Andrew's children and my grandmother (my father's mother) are second cousins, Andrew's grandchildren and my father are third cousins. So think for a moment: if Andrew hadn't been my great-grandmother's admirer, or they hadn't become good friends, or if my great-grandmother would marry him and not my great-grandfather I wouldn't be sitting on this sofa writing this story to share with you! Have you ever thought what chain of events led to your birth? How many people before you had to meet so that you would be able to sit on your sofa right now and read my story? Nuts! Isn't it?
Back to my parents. I definitely want to tell you a couple more things about these beautiful and magnificent people (I know my mom will read this line and roll her eyes), but they really are a very beautiful couple. To prove that I will attach a couple of photos at the end of today's story. To prove their magnificence I will have to tell you a bit about them as personalities.
My dad is an architect, a very good one. He has a great imagination and any complicated task makes him excited. On the other hand, he has some fine arts talents: he creates watercolors and takes great photos. He has also carpentry skills which helped him furnish our apartment in the times when there was no furniture available in the stores. He is also a great fairy tale reader. When I was little he would read to me to put me to sleep. Our favorite books were The Hobbit and Ronia the robber's daughter. It happened quite often that he would fall asleep while reading to me. When my mom would peep into my room to check on us I would whisper to her: Mom, I've already put dad to sleep. When I started going to school he would often walk me there and teach me the multiplication table, explain to me how the airplanes fly and how works hydro electro station. Later on, when I started going to music school he would sit in the car and wait for me from my lessons listening to the radio in any weather.
My mom is a teacher of English. She was my teacher just for a couple of years, then I changed my school. Everyone thought that if she taught me she would boost my grades. Well... (and my mom will smile now) she would give me Cs and Ds for homework and then I would come home and complain to my dad about that )) BUT! She is a terrific teacher and a lot of her students come back to tell her how much she helped them. While she worked at school she never taught only English, she was always trying to teach more and show her students that critical thinking is crucial. She is a great cook and a real creator of coziness. Our apartment is a place everyone wants to come back to. She makes the best marble cake which we call Babka-Latsiatka. She knows old family recipes from my great grandmother and from her aunt. She always helped me out with essays at school and would sit next to me while I practiced my piano lessons. She has a perfect taste for dresses and has the manners of a princess. She also keeps the whole family history in her head and likes watching good movies and then retell them to me.
Growing up in the 80s and 90s was not fun at all: the soviet union was about to collapse, the stores were empty, my parents were often not paid at work and it was not very clear what was waiting for us ahead. Despite all that I had a happy childhood: I had a lot of books, I had some cool toys and board games, and my parents tried to show me other places. We traveled to fortresses and castles, mountains and waterfalls, we had fun with friends. We even traveled to other countries which was not that easy to accomplish.
So I want to thank my parents again for bringing me up the way I am and for letting me be who I am. We are different but still we share a lot in common, we don't have to agree on everything but that would be boring if we did! They were always there for me and I hope I will be able to be there for them. LOVE YOU, MOM AND DAD! YOU ARE IN MY HEART! Have a great day today!

With all this said and done, I wish everyone a nice day and behave!

P.S. I also want to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my friend Mrs. Ellen and to wish her a lot of health and patience!


Oh, and here are the photos.

Family photo )) I finished the first grade!!!

One of my father's watercolors, he gave it to me for one of my birthdays. A view from my window. 


My mom and their doggy exchanging loving glances

My dad setting up his camera.









No comments:

Post a Comment